Trent Deuster is one of our patients at Lenz Orthodontics whose orthodontic journey with us served as motivation for a total health transformation. Within only one year, Trent lost an astonishing 210lbs. His transformation was solely achieved through diet, exercise and motivation.
Read all about his journey below:
Braces Can Transform More Than Just a Smile
By Trent Deuster
When I decided to get adult braces with Dr. Lenz, I realized that this was an opportunity to not only improve my smile but to improve my overall health and appearance. His thorough explanation of the course of treatment and how to care for my teeth included reasons for eliminating certain foods that could damage the braces and my teeth. Candy, popcorn, and other hard or sticky treats were obvious, but this knowledge also became a foundation for me to start on a new path of healthier eating by making better choices in my overall diet. I was at an all-time high of being around 200 pounds overweight, so I decided that getting braces from Dr. Lenz was going to be the provocation I needed to get started on improving my overall appearance along with my smile. I knew I could do it with the right motivation, too. I had been inspired by many success stories on the internet from people who lost a great deal of weight in a variety of ways. Though no two individuals’ paths were exactly alike, I decided to take a bit of inspiration from each one and develop a plan that would be healthy, reasonable, doable, and work for me. While Dr. Lenz had been working diligently to improve my smile, I had been working hard to improve myself. On the day my braces came off, I was 210 pounds lighter than when they went on. The transformation was more than I could have ever dreamed of. I love my new smile, not only because my teeth look great, but because my smile reflects how inspired I feel about all that I have accomplished both physically and mentally through my weight loss journey. The changes I made were designed to be healthy and long-term, the same as my smile. Therefore, even though my braces are now off and I could go back to many of the foods I eliminated, I am choosing to continue to eat healthy to maintain my best smile and my best overall me, because getting braces with Dr. Lenz not only transformed my smile for the better, it improved my quality of life in many ways.
Key changes that worked for me:
- Reading and understanding nutritional labels on all foods and drinks.
- Eliminating foods with no nutritional value.
- Remembering that baked or broiled is better than breaded and fried.
- Limiting carbohydrates to no more than 20g per day.
- Keeping within 2000 calories per day of food intake. (Amount differs by individuals.)
- Planning meals in advance and eating as close as possible to the same time every day, with a focus on intermittent fasting.
- Creating home-cooked meals that are rich in protein and veggies. (I prepare a variety of meats once per month into individual meals using a vacuum sealer, freezing them, and then cooking each as needed by water immersion or grilling. One day of labor and I am set for a month. I just add a side of baked or broiled fresh veggies or a salad each day.)
- Asking for double veggies instead of starches when dining out.
- Using nut milks, nut flours, healthy oils, and alternative sweeteners when cooking and baking. (Keto-specific recipes are a great resource for discovering delicious desserts and other foods to eat.)
- Incorporating cardio exercise, such as a daily walk.
- Taking daily vitamins and drinking plenty of water (sometimes with added flavors).
- Seeing a primary doctor regularly for check ups throughout the weight loss process.